How to Have the Perfect Pet Friendly Outer Banks Beach Vacation
For many of us, a vacation without our four-legged friend is not a vacation at all. We at Elan Vacations agree, and we are proud to represent dozens of homes that allow dogs. The Outer Banks is a dog lover's paradise, with beautiful beaches, great places to walk and all the services you need for both you and your pet there isn't a pet-friendlier beach on the Atlantic Coast. We think you'll agree.
Checklist For Pet-Friendly Travel
- Go through a trial run. If you're going to road trip to your destination, test your dog's ability and willingness to endure long trips in the car. Does he get anxious or car sick?
- Use proper safety precautions. According to the AAA, roughly 30,000 car accidents happen each year due to unrestrained dogs in the front seat. Consider a pet barrier, seat belt, car seat, or travel crate for your adventure.
- Prepare for appropriate pit stops. Maybe you can hold your bladder in record-breaking fashion, but vets advise pets to stop and go every two to three hours. Despite the possible annoyance, you should still keep them very hydrated, so always have fresh water on hand.
- Bring familiarity in some form. Take with you a blanket or toy on your trip. The familiarity is comforting to your little guy.
- Have ID tags ready. Attach contact information to both your pet's collar and his carrier.
- Don't leave pets alone. Again, reconsider that lunch break while leaving your pet to bake in the car.
Of course, these are just a few of the things that you'll want to remember before heading out on vacation with your dog. Don't forget we are here to help you with any questions, or issues that may arise. We have also taken the pleasure of creating two great resources which you can access by clicking on the buttons below. Need help and didn't find the answer here? Give us a call at (866) 760-3526. We're here to help!
Tips From The Pros
Need more information on how to travel with your pet? Maybe it is your first time vacationing with the newest member of the family. The video below is full of great tips and tricks to make your drive and vacation relaxing for both you and your dog. Hint, bring something that smells like you!
Beaches You and Your Dog Will Love
Cape Hatteras National Seashore
Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Miles of breathtaking, uninterrupted beaches make for a perfect playground for your pet. Dogs are allowed on the beach year-round if they are restrained with a leash no longer than 6-feet long, other than on designated swimming beaches, where they are prohibited at all times.
From the sand to the sound, your pup is welcome in Duck! Dogs are allowed unleashed on the beach in Duck year-round, as long as they remain under the watchful supervision of their owners. They are also allowed throughout town, at Town Park, along with the boardwalk, and even at town events, provided they are on a leash and well-behaved. Pet accommodations include a dog-friendly water fountain in the park.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.by Roger Caras
Pet's Enjoy the Best of the OBX
Don't think we have only a few vacation rentals that allow pets. In fact, we have dozens of beautiful homes to choose from. You don't need to compromise just because your furry friend is coming along for vacation. Here at Elan pet's enjoy the best of the OBX too! Here is a good example of a pet friendly home.
This Outer Banks vacation home will allow you to have an awesome vacation. Very well designed and well decorated - you will feel like you are in a private resort with the elaborate outdoor entertainment area complete with a large (30x15), 6- foot deep pool A full second kitchen on the lower level supports this outdoor area. Extras include: 6 TVs w/ Dish Network,1 Stereo connected to outdoor speaker system, Foosball Table, Ping Pong, Volleyball, Basketball goal.
There is still plenty of time to book your pet-friendly Outer Banks vacation. Call one of our friendly receptionists today or visit our website by clicking the button below to see all of our pet-friendly vacation homes. See you and your furry four-legged friends soon!